The Big Secret: Little Ambitions
So many of us believe we are destined for greatness. Myself included. I keep wondering when my greatness is going to be fulfilled, and I keep searching to find the hidden meaning in my life and to force that meaning into manifesting into something great. Wasn't I supposed to be the next Oprah? How has that failed to happen?
Recently, a realization hit me. Whenever life hits you really hard, your ambitions shrink drastically. When Leo was going through his "issues", I realized that all I really wanted was for him to be happy. As he became healthier, it was so hard to keep remembering what I really wanted. When he got better, I also wanted him to perform academically, join a sport, be social, etc. etc. etc. But, when I was able to remind myself of the "small ambition"; peace washed over me. He is happy. Most of the time, joyously happy.
Same with my own ambitions. Whenever I take a moment to realize it's not important to have critical acclaim from the masses, but to be loved by those who love me, I come to peace with myself.
I just wish I could keep that intention with me more often.
Recently, a realization hit me. Whenever life hits you really hard, your ambitions shrink drastically. When Leo was going through his "issues", I realized that all I really wanted was for him to be happy. As he became healthier, it was so hard to keep remembering what I really wanted. When he got better, I also wanted him to perform academically, join a sport, be social, etc. etc. etc. But, when I was able to remind myself of the "small ambition"; peace washed over me. He is happy. Most of the time, joyously happy.
Same with my own ambitions. Whenever I take a moment to realize it's not important to have critical acclaim from the masses, but to be loved by those who love me, I come to peace with myself.
I just wish I could keep that intention with me more often.

6 Comments:
Sister.
(BTW, NEHBM of how fast I saw this and commented. I would like recognition for that, please.)
I share similar pains. The beginning of the path is always awareness. Love your writing!
Well, I for one, feel you have already reached greatness.
And Leo is an inspiration to me.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Isn't that the truth? The most profound question I've ever been asked by my therapist was, "What do you want?" My answer, after a lot of thought, was, "I want to just be."
At peace.
With myself.
There's nothing better.
The perfect reminder for me right now. Counting my blessings as we speak. Thank you Terri for your wisdom.
Would truly be great to hold our intentions more consistently.
And like Michelle, I think you've reached greatness.
Post a Comment
<< Home