Monday, December 24, 2007

Re-Entry

Day by day, moment by moment, he re-entered our lives. He sub-let his apartment to another woman (a friend of a friend) who was in the midst of getting separated. Ironically, her name was Teri. She took over the lease one weekend, and the bits and pieces of furniture he had had there somehow found their way into the basement of the rented house that had previously been just mine. Although he was now there full time, it still felt like mine, not ours.

For that reason, and because I had wanted to own one for the past six years, we began to look for a house to buy. This was not the first time we went house hunting. We had done it in Portland, again in Colorado, and yet again in NY. This time felt different. Mostly because I now knew, more than ever, there was no turning back. I loved my neighborhood. He loved my neighborhood. The big boy was already in kindergarten, and I loved the school. We were "walkers" and I wanted to continue being a walker, therefore we only looked at houses within a 3 block radius of the current rental. So the looking was painless.

At the end of the first week of living together, we drove by an open house literally a block and a half away. It was absolutely perfect. it was on one of my favorite streets, it was still walkable to school, it was just the right size--and even in our price range. The kitchen need a major renovation, but that was par for the course for these hundred-year-old houses.

We walked around the open house on cloud nine. "I can't believe it, I said--this is perfect". Then, the real estate broker pounced. "Just to let you folks know," she said, there has been an offer down on the house already--so if you are interested, you are going to need to move quickly". Now, I am familiar with real estate brokers and their tactics....however, I also knew the market was starting to heat up. "OK", we said as we left the house. Cloud nine turned to cloud seven to cloud three by the 10th step.

I was NOT ready to make a decision. Yes, the house was perfect, but WHAT IF....

Greg was much less concerned. "So, should we make an offer?" he said matter-of-factly as we got into the car. "It's just what we're looking for," he continued through my silence. He began listing all the key features as my head swam. This was such a role reversal. Although Greg adores buying things--we call him our "purchasing department", he is not normally decisive about the big issues. I, on the other hand, always know what I want and am virtually ready to seize the day at any given moment (most often when I have an appointment to be elsewhere). I just sat. Silence, the funeral parlor kind, filled the car.

He finally began to drive. "I'm just not ready." I said slowly and carefully. "We aren't solid yet. We have no foundation." I continued.

"But that's what a house is--it'll help us get some of the solid footing we need" Greg responded. I could feel he was ready to be out of my house and into a place that would really be ours.

"I just need a little more time. I can't do it today" I felt the words drift out through the fog in my head.
"I get it", he replied. "I really do." "Let's talk about it more tomorrow"

"There we go--that makes sense" I responded as the fog began to lift. "I'm sure it's not going to be sold by tomorrow, for God's sake."

The fog I was treading through came and went throughout the rest of the day. By morning, I was a little clearer.

"Let's just call and find out what the deal is". I said over my first cup of Joe.
"Great idea" he declared and went to call the broker.

"The offer was accepted yesterday," he walked back in with sagging shoulders.

"I guess it wasn't meant to be," I replied with a mixture of relief and regret.

I had a fleeting thought--"Does this mean we really shouldn't be getting back together?" I didn't voice it.

"They'll be other houses," I said brightly, not yet knowing we were another full year away from finding one.

7 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

So glad to see a new post! This is terrific - I love getting to be privy to this journey of faith and struggle and love and rebirth.

By the way, I linked your blog to mine. Let me know if that's not okay.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

"I just sat. Silence, the funeral parlor kind, filled the car." I could absolutely feel it.

Beautiful Terry.

By the way, I'd also love to link you to my blog but I have been trying to edit my link list for ONE solid year with no success! :(

6:11 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Nancy quoted my favorite part. I also loved the part about you being ready to seize the day when you're due at another appointment. Love that!

Wow, this seems like a million years ago to me. How does it feel to you?

More.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

I'm so glad to find you here again! Your writing reaches right into my heart and sits there with all of its feeling and uncertainty. The waiting thing is so hard and I'm in awe of your ability in this to listen to your heart when it would have been so much easier to listen to the signs.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Helen Burton said...

Hi Terry:

Reading your blog brought back memories. Twenty-thre years ago my then to be husband and I went house hunting. We looked at 35 houses and either he or I were not happy with the house we saw because neither one of us was ready to commit. Then a house came on the market and we both decided to make an offer because it was the perfect house. To our surprise the offer was accepted and we are now living in the house for over 21 years and are happily married. Helen

12:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Glad you didn't move on this before you were ready. You are one smart lady.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Sorry I'm so behind here. But this seems to be the right moment for me to read this, given my week of house-hunting. Such a good reminder to wait until the the right time, for the right one.

I love reading your story.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home