Saturday, September 06, 2008

Eight years ago, I read "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle, and thought, "Hmmm, interesting concept". Eight months ago, I read "Awakening to your Life's Purpose" and haven't put it down since. I have read parts of the book or listened to a webcast every single day since. I have given four copies to friends and family--I've even gone back and re-listened to the Power of Now on tape (yes, tape!)

Even with all of this reading and listening, I have had a tough time developing my Spiritual Muscle. I am in the midst of crisis, and fully intent on using it as an opening to enlightenment. But the flashes of insight are so brief, and my mind chatter(ego)so incredibly strong, I am finally beginning to understand that I am in for a lifelong practice, rather than a miracle.

This week, I realized how my last post reflects exactly how our ego separates us from our true selves. I even did it while immersed in seeking inner peace. I wrote "I love myself". Isn't that amazing? I separated myself in two, the way we all tend to, unconsciously. If I just WAS myself, there would actually be no need for "loving myself" because I would just be whole and complete and present in each moment, without the separation.

Wild ideas, I know--yet they resonate completely.

10 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Wow - powerful stuff. Thanks for this - my latest post also deals with my ego and how I tend to compartmentalize myself. Guess I need to check this book out!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

You, are IT ON A STICK - all of you. I think, perhaps, we are all awakened/enlightened, but tend to fall asleep at the wheel from time to time. What do you think?

You are, and you aren't, the same person I met 13 years ago. And that is a compliment.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

that is quite an interesting insight. there IS such a disparity between the I and me and myself and all those pronouns. full conversations go on between them in my head!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Like the part about the spiritual walk being a lifelong practice. So true.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Hi Terry, thinking of you! xox

8:10 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds like a trip to Barnes & Nobel for me this weekend. My ego needs some taming!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

A life long practice, one moment at a time.

Love.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Wishing you peace and clarity during this time of crisis. These are the times when the biggest gifts are to be found. I hope you'll share here when you find yours.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Hmm, I have to admit that I never quite finished that book. I bought it, read some of it, and (as often happens...), got distracted. Thanks as usual for your honesty... I'm going to get out my book now.

12:41 AM  
Blogger hg said...

A life LONG process.LONG being the key word for me.

And brilliant insight into how we split ourselves into with awareness.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home