The TruthTeller
There's been a reoccurring theme going on with me for a number of years. I have this weird idea about what my "life's purpose" truly is supposed to be and yet, I have no idea how to get from here to there. Or if "there" is really what I'm supposed to be doing or not.
When I first started working, I would always get the same comments in my reviews. Scratch that. Ever since kindergarten, I always got the same comments in my reviews/report cards. A natural strength seemed to be an ability to tell someone "the truth" without hurting their feelings. One example stands out and still tickles me when I think about it.
As a young brand manager working with Nestle, I was surrounded by the cream of the crop in terms of academics and drive--but there were times when the "soft skills" of those very bright people were severely lacking. A woman who has since become a dear friend, but at the time was merely an acquaintance, once said to me, "How come you can say mean things to people and they laugh and if I said the same thing, they'd get mad". I replied, "Oh, you mean like if I were to say how everyone thinks you're a first class bitch when you're really just intense?" She actually burst out laughing and said, "Precisely"!
I know. It's a gift. But how do I use it?
More recently, a good friend of mine was explaining how her mother had taken advantage of her in a way I found profoundly unacceptable. I responded with a clear, "You must tell her this is unacceptable and can't happen again without major consequences." She said, "I just don't think I can do it". I asked "Would you like me to do it? I will" She said yes.
Not long after, we had some friends over for dinner and I explained my new business idea. I'm going to become "The TruthTeller", I said. If someone needs to hear the truth and you can't tell them, I'll do it. They both laughed and said it was a great idea. I haven't seen them in two years. This past Saturday, I went to their home for a party, and the woman said, "You have no idea how many times in the past two years I have said to Scott--this is an occasion for the TruthTeller--who's going to call Terry"
Again, we laugh. But there just might be something here. Tell me what you think.
When I first started working, I would always get the same comments in my reviews. Scratch that. Ever since kindergarten, I always got the same comments in my reviews/report cards. A natural strength seemed to be an ability to tell someone "the truth" without hurting their feelings. One example stands out and still tickles me when I think about it.
As a young brand manager working with Nestle, I was surrounded by the cream of the crop in terms of academics and drive--but there were times when the "soft skills" of those very bright people were severely lacking. A woman who has since become a dear friend, but at the time was merely an acquaintance, once said to me, "How come you can say mean things to people and they laugh and if I said the same thing, they'd get mad". I replied, "Oh, you mean like if I were to say how everyone thinks you're a first class bitch when you're really just intense?" She actually burst out laughing and said, "Precisely"!
I know. It's a gift. But how do I use it?
More recently, a good friend of mine was explaining how her mother had taken advantage of her in a way I found profoundly unacceptable. I responded with a clear, "You must tell her this is unacceptable and can't happen again without major consequences." She said, "I just don't think I can do it". I asked "Would you like me to do it? I will" She said yes.
Not long after, we had some friends over for dinner and I explained my new business idea. I'm going to become "The TruthTeller", I said. If someone needs to hear the truth and you can't tell them, I'll do it. They both laughed and said it was a great idea. I haven't seen them in two years. This past Saturday, I went to their home for a party, and the woman said, "You have no idea how many times in the past two years I have said to Scott--this is an occasion for the TruthTeller--who's going to call Terry"
Again, we laugh. But there just might be something here. Tell me what you think.

6 Comments:
I have seen/heard your talent first hand, and it's a wonder. I think you're on to something! The truth is, I think you can do about a million things well, that's why it's hard to narrow it down.
Man, Bubba is really good at that, too. I can remember being astonished when he'd fire someone and they would end up thanking him!
Here's hoping you can find a way to capitalize on your unique talent. Goodness knows the world could use more people who can tell it like it is.
I say follow the road and see where it leads. Yours is a gift some of us spend lifetimes trying to achieve - truth told with gentle humor, clearly.
If you don't pursue it as a profession, maybe you could write a book about a woman who did. Now that would be a story!
I think it's a great idea! (As long as it isn't about me). Ha! You definately have a gift.
: )
Also....better to be a first class bitch than any other.
Too funny. My hubs has an amazing ability to talk about hot button topics in a way that makes people (including himself) remain calm. It's such a gift!
If you find a way to make this a business, I'll be in the client line. Immediately.
Post a Comment
<< Home