A Mother Among Mothers
When I was in college, I made a friend. Although not at all unusual, I had made many friends throughout the years--this friend became more like a sister. Here's why. Her family let me in. Quite literally. How (and why) were they able to do that? It's simple. Their mother allowed it--even encouraged it. Here's the real head-shaker. They already had nine kids in the family!
It started with the usual, "Can Terry stay for dinner?" "Of course," was the immediate response. No hesitation. She had met me four minutes prior. She assumed, quite rightly, her daughter had good judgement. Over the next weeks, then months, the dinners turned into twice weekly affairs, often capped by an early Sunday breakfast at the Farmers Market (always their treat). It then turned to Thanksgiving dinners and trips to their mountain house. I never felt like a guest, always like family. It was the little things that made it so. She never seemed surprised to see me. Always acted like she expected me to be therw--even when I knew she didn't know I was coming. Always had a job for me to do, a role to play, a way to be like everyone else.
This mother was the classiest person I have ever met. She kept her counsel more often than not; but whenever you asked her a question or for advice; she gave it to you without any sugar on top, but without any judgement underneath. Above all, her ability to see beauty in the simplest aspects of nature, and the smallest gesture of humans, was truly unparalleled. She gave that gift to all of us. It lives on in her children, as part of their dna.
She knew right from wrong, courage from weakness, and how to have fun.
She recently passed away. I am grieving her loss; even while a part of me doesn't feel I have the right to. She wasn't my mother after all. But, then again, she sure made me feel like a daughter.
It started with the usual, "Can Terry stay for dinner?" "Of course," was the immediate response. No hesitation. She had met me four minutes prior. She assumed, quite rightly, her daughter had good judgement. Over the next weeks, then months, the dinners turned into twice weekly affairs, often capped by an early Sunday breakfast at the Farmers Market (always their treat). It then turned to Thanksgiving dinners and trips to their mountain house. I never felt like a guest, always like family. It was the little things that made it so. She never seemed surprised to see me. Always acted like she expected me to be therw--even when I knew she didn't know I was coming. Always had a job for me to do, a role to play, a way to be like everyone else.
This mother was the classiest person I have ever met. She kept her counsel more often than not; but whenever you asked her a question or for advice; she gave it to you without any sugar on top, but without any judgement underneath. Above all, her ability to see beauty in the simplest aspects of nature, and the smallest gesture of humans, was truly unparalleled. She gave that gift to all of us. It lives on in her children, as part of their dna.
She knew right from wrong, courage from weakness, and how to have fun.
She recently passed away. I am grieving her loss; even while a part of me doesn't feel I have the right to. She wasn't my mother after all. But, then again, she sure made me feel like a daughter.

11 Comments:
Beautiful tribute!
You most certainly have a right to grieve her loss- there was a special bond between the two of you.
She had plenty of room in heart for her all her kids, and you were one of them and she would be so proud of you today.
Love you
Suzy
"She kept her counsel more often than not; but whenever you asked her a question or for advice; she gave it to you without any sugar on top, but without any judgement underneath."
LOVE that! Love the verbage, love the sentiment, love that wise woman.
Grieve away, Sister! She would have wanted you to feel what you feel.
Sorry about your loss. Sounds like she really touched your heart.
How lovely that you had a mother figure like this as a model and a mentor. I find it's the relatives that we don't share blood with who often have the most profound impact on us. The passage Carrie quoted is my favorite as well. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this story.
Isn't this the kind of mother we all want to be? What a gift she gave you. Despite your blood ties (or lack thereof), you have every right to grieve her. I believe very strongly that the families we choose are every bit as important as those we were born into.
Love.
I agree with everyone else. You have a right to feel whatever you feel on this one.
She sounds like an amazing woman. I have some relationships with other people's mothers that are very important to me, I get that.
Take care of yourself.
Beautiful piece, Terry.
Mothering is on my mind right now. It's such a difficult thing to do well. Those who have the gift share it freely.
Your friend's mother shared freely. It's natural to grieve the loss of that gift.
Grieve for her. It's the only right thing to do when you feel the loss of someone beautiful from your life.
Sorry for your loss.
What a special woman. You have every right to grieve for her, just like you had every reason to love her. Ditto Suzy--what a beautiful tribute.
What a blessing for you to have had this mother in your life.
We should all strive to be more like her.
Family is truly more than genetics. So sorry for your pain but grateful for the gifts she gave. I am going to stick those words on post it notes everywhere as inspiration "she gave it to you without any sugar on top, but without any judgment underneath." something to strive for as a mother, a friend.
Post a Comment
<< Home