Saturday, May 05, 2007

Rubber Room

A typical example of a fit from the toddler days: Both my kids were decent restaurant kids--I was fortunate they both liked to eat so could be counted on, for the most part, to behave. One sunny afternoon, out for lunch with my mom and dad, we got a great table out on the deck of a casual burger-type joint. Waitress appears. Since I was trying to teach Leo how to speak to someone, I asked him sweetly, "Leo--why don't you tell the young woman what you'd like to drink?" "Lemonade, please" he responded. I let out my breath--so proud he not only looked at her, but actually remembered the please. "I'm sorry", she replied, "we are all out of lemonade--is there something else I can get you?" I took one look at him and told her we'd need a minute. His hands were clenched, the shakes began, and the next thing you know he was pounding his head down on the tray of the highchair.

In less than a minute, I had him unbuckled, pulled out and run through the restaurant while he wailed. I got in the car and made sure the windows were rolled up to wait it out. We didn't make it back for lunch.

By second grade, it took more than the absence on lemonade to bring on a fit. But, sometimes, not much more. It was really hard to know the triggers. By now, he had been tested, evaluated, poked and prodded by every doctor we could think of: homeopathic practitioners to heads of Neuropsychology. Still no label. I really wanted one. I needed one. I felt like everyone thought I must be a bad parent. Must be beating him at home or something. It was terrifying. Even more terrifying however, was "the rubber room".

Although I now had a "team" of people at school, including his teacher, who were part of the evaluation group, there still weren't any answers and his teacher did not know how to handle the fits. One day, I got a call and I knew it was worse than ever. She asked me to come in right away. I raced over. Upon arrival, I could see she was rattled. She was a tiny woman, and, as I mentioned, Leo a large child. They were very close to eye-to-eye and he might've even had her pound for pound. She was shaking. Where is he? I asked. "He's down the hall" she answered.

"It was really scary." she began. It started here in the class room and he was banging his head against the desk and also pushing my desk at the same time" I had to call Mr. F. and Mr. W. They had to pick him up in order to get him out of here". But where is he? I asked again. I was escorted down the hall to the rubber room. I could scarcely believe my eyes. This was a public elementary school. I peeked through the small window in the wooden door. There he was, sitting on the floor legs crossed, grabbing his feet and trying to bite his toes. He was rocking back and forth. It was surreal--a scene right out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Mr. F. was guarding the door. I just stood there in shock. "What set him off" I asked his teacher. "We had one of those tests that's kind of a trick. It's about following directions. It gives you this whole list of directions, but you're really only supposed to write your name at the top of the paper and stop." I didn't quite get it, but I could tell the it was kind of thing a sensitive kid might freak about.

"I don't want him put in here anymore" I told his teacher emphatically. "I can't promise that" she answered seriously.

Later, in therapy..."Leo, what happens to you BEFORE you have a fit. Like through a whole day leading up to one--can you descibe it?" his therapist asked.

"Yes" he responded. "It's like this--most people have a mind with a drain. They get a thought, and then a feeling, and then that thought or feeling goes down the drain and it's gone." "I don't have a drain". My thoughts and feelings keep going into my mind like it's a sink with no drain. First a thought, then a feeling, then I see something sad--more thoughts, more feelings. Every time I see someone I can tell exactly what they are feeling. So many kids are sad, or scared and I can tell what they are feeling and I can't get rid of their feeling either. They just keep sticking in there without ever draining out. Finally, the thoughts and the feelings just start to overflow the sink and that's when I have a fit." I just wish I had a drain because I can't stand it anymore".

"Wow" we were both blown away at the desciption. I knew he was articulate for an 8 year old, but it was such an "AHA" for us. We got it. She explained to him that he did actually have a drain--it was just really clogged and we were going to work together to unclog it. We are going to get some Drano and get through it. she continued. "What's Drano" he asked. She and I actually sung the jingle in tandem. He giggled. "OK" he said, and I felt that this time, he really believed it.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! I work in a school and it still amazes me how some teachers/principals still handle kids who have, what I call "biggies". Putting him in that room, was awful, for him but also for a parent to walk in and see. The comment he made about not having a drain totally blew me away, what a bright, creative and articulate child. Would love to hear more about how the "Drano Effect" worked. I had very similar experiences with my daughter when she was younger. She is 15 now and still remembers being locked in a room in pre-k, run by nuns. She did not fit the cookier cutter mold. Thanks for sharing this.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

What an AMAZING metaphor he came up with. That was brilliant! I agree with Eileen...so articulate.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

What a horrific thing for Leo to be put through. There is simply no reason for this kind of behavior from adults- educators who supposedly know better.
Leo's description of what happens in his head puts everyone who tried to evaluate him to shame.
All the more reasons for the right therapists and the "right" patient to work together.
Great story Terry. Your kids seem to possess the same quality of communication as you do.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I so appreciate you sharing these stories. Who knows how many people will be helped by Leo's articulation, and your rendering of his story!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Oh My God Terry.

Thank Leo for this brilliant explanation.

What an amazing kid.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Leo's explanation is brilliant. So is your writing.

I love, love, love this piece and can't wait for the next installment, Terry.

BTW--Drano has a jingle? Can't recall it at all.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

OK--the jingle was Roto Router. Roto Router, that's the name, and away goes trouble, down the drain.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Terry. I kept trying to remember a Drano jingle all day.

I've reached the age when things fall into dark holes in my brain and I have to get a head lamp and go searching for them.

2:21 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Wow Terry. THat he could conceptualize and articulate how hiw mind was working ... brilliant.

Ditto jenny, what an amazing metaphor.

11:15 PM  
Blogger susan said...

Oh, my. Wow is right.

How amazing is that little boy of yours?! Quite.

1:23 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Yikes! I remember that trick test - it gave you a list of directions, numbered, and you were supposed to read through them all before you wrote anything down. But I was always so eager to finish the test that I started to write as soon as I read the first question and by the time I got to the last one that said "don't answer any of the questions on this test" it was too late. ARGHHH!

My daughter suffers from this exact difficulty - she cannot filter out what's important and not important, she just takes in all the information and can't process it. It's so tough to see her little sister do this automatically and know that she struggles with purging information. Love to your son! Love to you.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

"First a thought, then a feeling, then I see something sad--more thoughts, more feelings. Every time I see someone I can tell exactly what they are feeling. So many kids are sad, or scared and I can tell what they are feeling and I can't get rid of their feeling either. They just keep sticking in there without ever draining out."

WOW Terry! A wonderful reminder that sometimes, we just need to ask instead of trying to assess from the outside in. Thank God Leo is so bright and self aware! I am anxious to hear more...

5:16 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

wow - incredible. your child suffers from empathy! the extreme is scary, but he sounds like a loving loving kid. and lucky to have a mother so in-touch with him. you're great!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Alijah Fitt said...

Hi, my first time here via Full Soul Ahead.
I am a sensitive too, what he says about feeling people's feelings is a blessing and a curse. I luckily have a drain. That is an amazing analogy, your son is extremely self aware.
Some good things about feeling others feelings- one can be very empathetic, a good healer, and a friend able to know what you really need. Of course the down sides you already know.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh my god, that is absolutely brilliant. I will remember that image in my own parenting...but first, I am going to apply it to myself.

Thank you Leo.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home