Friday, March 16, 2007

Tornadoes

Perhaps a time or two I've been described as a tornadoe. I can blow up out of nowhere and surprise those "hit" by me. As such, I also die down incredibly quickly--but I'm always surprised by the damage caused by such a quick storm. I apologize. Often. More often than someone of my age and intelligence level should NEED to apologize. It's hard on me. If only I could collect my thoughts, deliver them thoughtfully and caringly and listen conciously for the response. In fact, so often my message is completely on point--but it gets lost in the whirlwind of frenzied delivery and subsequent apology. I hate having to apologize. It's draining.

This is one of my "issues". I have touched on some of my others--but only in passing. Greg's, of course, have been described in vivid detail. The slowness, the unapologetic lack of knowing the time, the love of buying "stuff". (Okay, maybe I haven't gone into our Purchasing Department aka Greg--but that's for another blog) Suffice it to say, we both have our issues and through our separation actually had the opportunity to look at them long and hard--and make decisions accordingly.

When a relationship is in a downward spiral, it is unbelievably difficult to differentiate the buggy and annoying qualities of someone else from the deal breakers. My deal-breakers: Respect and Responsibility. When we separated, our marriage was in short supply of both. Turned out, although he was the one lacking responsibility, I was the one lacking respect. At the time, I felt because my message was valid, my delivery was completely justifiable. Turns out I was wr...wro...ok wrong.

I wish I could say I lost my nickname. I haven't. But I have been downgraded from a "warning" to a "watch"

11 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Great honesty here. Your self-awareness is such a powerful step in the right direction.

And I can totally relate: my tone can be much more mean/angry than I actually feel, and so much trouble could be avoided if I only remembered to stop and breathe in the heat of the moment. But I'm working on it too...

3:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

This is so great, such self-awareness, such humility, two things I've always loved about you!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

I'm just discovering you and so glad to read your powerful words. Boy can I relate to learning that fixing him won't fix me. I'm hooked, and looking forward to reading more.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Funny last line...

And your blog rings true...respect and responsibility? Two HUGE keys to marriage.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

The only possible good (?) thing about a tornado, is that when it knocks everything out of the way- it's time to rebuild. And that my friend is exactly what you've done with courage and honesty.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

You write that because your message was valid, you felt justified in the delivery.

Boy does THAT wake up some uncomfortable thoughts for me. I got some 'splaining to do. To myself, I think.

Thanks for the wake-up call. I'm going to give this lots of thought.

4:23 AM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Truly, it's rare to see self-revelation around anger/rage. I 'suffer' from the same. Hard to own (when it feels totally justified!), and you express it beautifully - delivery is important.

Have a great time in Portland - wish I was there to meet you.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You have no idea how your words whip up the winds of self reflection for me.

Seperating the annoying from the deal breakers is key and delivering valid messages with 'respect'...so hard!

Thank you for your insight and for sharing life lessons.

7:51 AM  
Blogger hg said...

repsect and responsibility, and lots of time to look long and hard.

love the honesty here. i never visit your blog without taking away something big.

love.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Great post. Love the ending line!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I always love your posts, without fail. Always something good to think about.

I love the directness of your writing, and yeah, the self-awareness.

Dying to hear the rest of this story, wish you wouldn't make us wait so long between posts!

(And yeah, you just might be a little like Lisa.)

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home