Missing Pieces
From my own experience, and from witnessing those I am close enough to catch a glimpse, I believe all marriages have missing pieces.
There is this whole "you complete me" horseshit most of us have been brought up to believe. Guess what. You don't complete me. I complete me. You complete you. We can't complete each other. Not possible. Who knew?
As Greg and I were contemplating reuniting, we came to this realization. We were not here to complete one another, but to see if we might assist one another in the onerous task of completing ourselves.
In additon, there are a couple of missing pieces you don't know about Greg:
He's a Learner. Capital L. If there is a topic of interest to him (or to me--or to you) he will learn more about that topic than most professors who teach it. Over the years, he has taught himself to be a plumber, an electrician, a veterinarian, a scuba diver, a movie-maker, a set designer, a furniture maker, a tree-house builder, an oceanographer, an IT expert, a feng shui practitioner, a sailor, an animator, a piano player. I am sure I am missing a few, I kid you not.
He's a Teacher. If you are a slow learner, he's your man. He will explain, draw, diagram, write or act it out until you get it. Doesn't matter how long it takes. He'll stick with you until it's clear you understand.
He Loves Animals. Every morning he wakes up, and before doing anything else, he lies down on the floor next to the stretched out mutt and pets her for 10 minutes. A full ten. Sometimes fifteen if I don't remind him to shower. He feeds the cat even though he gags at the smell, cleans poo, and takes the bird to the aviary vet. That's love.
He Loves Children--especially babies and toddlers. Whenever we are at a family get-together or a neighborhood gathering, and there is a cranky baby, the mom searches out Greg. He walks, rocks, and bounces until that baby is fast asleep. He'll even continue to hold it for the rest of the evening. He is a new mother's dream.
He Takes One for the Team. When I don't want to do something, but don't want to be honest about it, he lets me blame him. No problem. He's fine with it. He'd much rather have my comfort in any given moment than worry about what someone else thinks of him. When I first started this blog, he said, "Am I going to come off looking like a real asshole in this thing?" "yes", I answered, "there's no doubt about that--and if you aren't comfortable, I will not blog about it, end of story". He thought about it for less than a minute. "no" he said, "I was a real asshole". "Go ahead and talk about it--it's the truth"
He Apologizes. Sincerely. When he says or does something that hurts me, he really is sorry; and says so. You don't have to pull it out of him. He "gets it". Every year it's easier for us to treat one another with care and to apologize before anything gets out of hand. Having let ourselves dig such a big hole in the past, we work hard at making sure we don't do it again.
He Adores Me. By far, his best quality. He really thinks I'm "It on a Stick" and more. Whenever I do something I'm not proud of--I immediately turn to him for solace. He never beats me up--he consoles and doesn't judge. I truly feel loved unconditionally. Unbelievable.
He's still working on completing himself, as I am on me. But these are some of pieces of him I love and wanted to share.
There is this whole "you complete me" horseshit most of us have been brought up to believe. Guess what. You don't complete me. I complete me. You complete you. We can't complete each other. Not possible. Who knew?
As Greg and I were contemplating reuniting, we came to this realization. We were not here to complete one another, but to see if we might assist one another in the onerous task of completing ourselves.
In additon, there are a couple of missing pieces you don't know about Greg:
He's a Learner. Capital L. If there is a topic of interest to him (or to me--or to you) he will learn more about that topic than most professors who teach it. Over the years, he has taught himself to be a plumber, an electrician, a veterinarian, a scuba diver, a movie-maker, a set designer, a furniture maker, a tree-house builder, an oceanographer, an IT expert, a feng shui practitioner, a sailor, an animator, a piano player. I am sure I am missing a few, I kid you not.
He's a Teacher. If you are a slow learner, he's your man. He will explain, draw, diagram, write or act it out until you get it. Doesn't matter how long it takes. He'll stick with you until it's clear you understand.
He Loves Animals. Every morning he wakes up, and before doing anything else, he lies down on the floor next to the stretched out mutt and pets her for 10 minutes. A full ten. Sometimes fifteen if I don't remind him to shower. He feeds the cat even though he gags at the smell, cleans poo, and takes the bird to the aviary vet. That's love.
He Loves Children--especially babies and toddlers. Whenever we are at a family get-together or a neighborhood gathering, and there is a cranky baby, the mom searches out Greg. He walks, rocks, and bounces until that baby is fast asleep. He'll even continue to hold it for the rest of the evening. He is a new mother's dream.
He Takes One for the Team. When I don't want to do something, but don't want to be honest about it, he lets me blame him. No problem. He's fine with it. He'd much rather have my comfort in any given moment than worry about what someone else thinks of him. When I first started this blog, he said, "Am I going to come off looking like a real asshole in this thing?" "yes", I answered, "there's no doubt about that--and if you aren't comfortable, I will not blog about it, end of story". He thought about it for less than a minute. "no" he said, "I was a real asshole". "Go ahead and talk about it--it's the truth"
He Apologizes. Sincerely. When he says or does something that hurts me, he really is sorry; and says so. You don't have to pull it out of him. He "gets it". Every year it's easier for us to treat one another with care and to apologize before anything gets out of hand. Having let ourselves dig such a big hole in the past, we work hard at making sure we don't do it again.
He Adores Me. By far, his best quality. He really thinks I'm "It on a Stick" and more. Whenever I do something I'm not proud of--I immediately turn to him for solace. He never beats me up--he consoles and doesn't judge. I truly feel loved unconditionally. Unbelievable.
He's still working on completing himself, as I am on me. But these are some of pieces of him I love and wanted to share.

15 Comments:
First of all, LOVE when you use the word "horseshit." Not enough has been made......
But what I love most is your complete no nonsense honesty- Love the way your marriage is working with the operative word, "working." It seems to me that you and Greg work at everything and it certainly seems to have it's rewards.
Love you
Suzy
You are really an inspiration. By the way, are you sure some pieces are missing? Sounds like the whole package to me!!
LOVE Greggy! Now, can we talk about how to spell pieces?
Oh my goodness--I am so embarassed
This post is so romantic! What a wonderful, amazing guy, and your appreciation of all his little details is just as wonderful.
I am new to your blog, but the two of you sound like you are terrific together (troubles and all) and I am looking forward to reading the history. I'm so glad you are back together!
Look at how fast you corrected your mistake! See! What a metaphor! You are willing to look at your "stuff" and make adjustments. No wonder Greggy adores you. No wonder I do too! You ARE "It on a stick!"
More.
What a beautiful love letter. So nice to hear someone say it's work and to see it seems to be paying the dividends.
Hey Terry! Hope all is well -- I love when you update the blog!
This is such a beautiful piece. It is about a real and loving relationship, grown-up style.
(I too loved your use of "horseshit.)"
I love this post. I'm inspired to make a similar list about my husband. What a loving tribute to him.
I love the portrait of Greg you paint her. And how it balances out all the places you lost sight of things or where they were just overshadowed, totally blacked-out by the less endearing stuff.
love that in the end it all balances out.
and, yeah, keep up the "horseshit" usage....
Hmm, I couldve sworn I'd already commented on this post. Anyway, I love your writing and love how you've put this relationship back together. SO bummed I didn't get to meet Greg last week.
And of course he's right, you *are* It on a Stick.
But I really want to read how he got from saying he never loved you to realizing that. I don't think we've gotten all the details. But I'm patient.
And hey, maybe a trip to Sisters, Oregon with your sisters would help?
I'm with Jess here. Wanting to hear more of your story, especially since I'm just getting to know you. Sisters in June would be a great place for all of that. What do you say?
Great post, Terry.
You give me hope about how relationships can be. Your story illustrates that something doesn't have to be perfect to work if you're willing to let it.
Wow, did you let him read this? It's an amazing tribute, especially becuase you know, you've been through hell already and you still can say these things. Beautiful.
It strikes me that he is very in touch with his feminine side. That seems so sane and good to live with. When these qualities are not present partnership is exhausting.
Knowing that you have your issues together, it's so great to see a couple who has done so much work.
Post a Comment
<< Home